Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Side note

Tzatziki Sauce
(I love this as a mayo alternative!)

1 large (I like to use 2 of the small ones) cucumer peeled, seeded, and grated.
1 32oz container of plain, non-fat yogurt
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic (or more if you love it like I do)
small squeeze of lemon juice

The trick to this whole thing is controlling the amount of moisture. Drain the yogurt...I've used cheesecloth, a handheld metal mesh colander, and even a pair of Crissy's pantyhose! Don't skip draining the yogurt, you'd be surprised how juicy it is. You are supposed to drain it for 4 hours but I'm not that patient. Instead I let it sit for an hour and mush it around with a spoon occasionally. I even dry the grated cucumber with paper towels. That's it! It tastes fresh and crisp...just what I'm looking for in the summer.