Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Fun with language

Hurl is a deceptively cool sounding word. Reminiscent of whirl and twirl, a hurl fest sounds like loads of fun. Or a new Olympic sport. If it were the Olympics Brett would be a Gold Medal Hurler. Too bad it isn't as cool as it sounds; my sympathies are with you.

Speaking of fun words, yesterday I was reading 16th and 17th century scientific texts (Crissy and I also know how to really have fun!) and I stumbled upon a new favorite word. Abstruse. I thought it was "made up," but its not. I like the way it sounds, like a blending of abstract and obtuse which is very close to its definition. From Latin "to hide" or more specifically " away + push" the definition is: difficult to penetrate or understand; incomprehensible to one of ordinary understanding or knowledge. Which is exactly how I feel about 16th and 17th century scientific texts!

On a side note, I'd like to discuss things that are commonly lost. Keys, marbles, early European explorers, your lighter at a party. Less common would be checkbooks, the ink pen that actually works, or the family pet. Less common, but it happens. So....how do you lose a car? I'm not talking "somebody drove me home after the party and I can't really remember where I parked." I'm talking about the THREE car dealerships I talked to yesterday that showed a vehicle in their inventory, but couldn't seem to lay their hands on the car itself. What the hell?

No comments: