Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I survived

Well, I survived the first day in my new position. I spent the first few hours talking to the manager and getting a feel for his expectations and finding out the general lay of the land. Then I drove to Bloomington for a general welcoming and training. For those of you not experiencing the joy of central Illinois weather I will tell you that the trip was...interesting.

Yesterday the entire region was blanketed in a horrendous fog. What should've been a 3 hour round trip took 4 1/2 hours. Until yesterday I'd never seen semi trucks on the interstate driving less than 50 mph with their hazard lights on. I drove with blind faith in my newfound luck. Fortunately the District Manager backed out of the meeting so the Store Managers conducting it had to make something up for us to do. They spent 3 hours teaching us some tricks and giving suggestions for daily routines. Perfect!

Most of my (former) peers are making the transition well. They seemed to have taken the approach that waiting until Monday was a formality. People started bringing issues to me on Saturday. I'll take that as a positive sign that I'm approachable.

Now, more than ever, I feel the need to reinvigorate my crafty side to enforce my identity outside of work. I have a couple of little wood projects and suddenly I am interested in starting on them!

P.S. Spring is just around the corner...how do I know? Home Depot has patio sets!

No comments: