Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Venting anger

Maybe this isn't the best forum for this, but I'm angry and I want to vent. I doubt if many of you have been following the same news events I have, so here's a brief. In last weeks election voters in California took away the right for same-sex couples to marry. Here's the part that really gets me...since when are civil rights up to a majority vote? In 1948 do you think that the right for whites and blacks to marry would have passed if put to vote?

Other states voted to eliminate the ability of unmarried couples to adopt or participate in foster care programs. Who does this hurt? If you interviewed children in group homes or orphanages do you think they would say that they would rather stay where they are instead of being in a loving home? I think that Rosie's kids are probably doing ok. I imagine Brad and Angie's kids don't want for much.

We are the DINKs...double income, no kids. In these economic times, this is one group left with money. Crissy suggests that we homos should do what the Mexican immigrants did...pick a day as a group not to buy anything. If one refuses to recognize us as a population with civil rights, then we should not contribute to the population as a whole to show the impact of our existence.

I'm sure that there were plenty of people who felt justified in denying rights to blacks because for some reason or another they were genetically inferior. Intellectually inferior. Did we persist in this line of thinking, or did the country elect a black president? We can't just pick and choose what is a "right" and who gets it. I'm not fighting the church here. They can retain whatever belief systems they want to. It's called separation of church and state. When are we going to see evidence of this basic concept that we built our country on?

Sorry guys, but I'm pissed.

No comments: