Sunday, January 27, 2008

Paprikash

Was talking to Dad about cooking chili the other day.... He said.. You need to make some Paprikash.  This is a chicken stew that my grandparents always had brewing and it is probably the only family recipe that I have from my Dad's side of the family.  My grandparents were both immigrants from Serbia, now Yugoslavia.  I've seen this called a Hungarian dish, but I'll always call it Serbian. 

So, when Candy mentioned that she was going to make chicken soup, I said, you should make Paprikash....  Now, the only thing I really can remember about how to make it is to put a whole chicken in a pot w/ tons of Paprika, onions, carrots, potatoes and broth then cook till the chicken falls off the bones.  So, I thought I'd take a stab at googling this recipe and came across several versions.  Some called for sour cream, and butter, which sounds good...  Some called for noodles, one even said to make Spaetzle.  I think the key ingredient is the "ton" of paprika, like two heaping tablespoons to make this just like papa did.

No comments: