Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I love vanilla coffee creamer

UPDATE: I finally tried out a recipe:

French Vanilla

  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla
It turned out ok. I have kept several glass jars over the years, so I picked out a large jelly jar for the job. I had to spoon the condensed milk into the jar. There is a lot of sweetness in the condensed milk, I'm not used to that.
I used the vanilla that I made from vanilla breans and vodka. I used 2 Tbsp, because its flavor seemed a bit weak.
Then I wiped the jar down, put the lid on securely and gave it a good shake.
All in all it was good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jan 2009
I struggle with the pros and cons of buying and using commercial products all the time. I usually go against my conscience and just buy the damn packaged good. Yet I still wonder...

I love a good creamer in my coffee. I love the flavor, the scent and how it makes my coffee seem so rich and creamy. I'd rather have a good cup of yummy coffee over just about any sweet there is.

The problem lies in the large plastic container that I'm tossing out ever week. Yes, I put it in the recycle bin, but it still pains me. (that along with all the other recyclables...)

So, I'm wondering if there is a cheaper more eco-friendly way to get the same creamy goodness?
I found a few recipes online, some call for powdered non-dairy creamer, and quite honestly, I'm not looking to ingest cotton oil. Another calls for a can of sweetened condensed milk, is that a good way to go?

What do you all think? any good recipes out there for me?